Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Send-off to the Winter

In Russia we have a very old tradition to selebrate the send-off to the Winter. This Holyday is called "Maslennitca" and it lasts during a whole week. It started last Monday and will end this Sunday. This week must be spent in merrioment and joy. Each day Russian family usually bakes special flat round pan- cakes, which we call "blin"s and eat them with sourecream and jam or red/black caviar. All days of this week have their special name , but I dont remember what. "Maslennitca" dates back to the ancient Russian history and was set by pagans long before the Russian Christianity. This Holyday is so popular among Russian people, that it is supported by the local authorities. In Moscow, for example, on Sunday, the last day of the Holyday, they arrage a perfomance on the Red Square near the Kremlin . A lot of moscovites come to visit it. It is almost an obligation for all Moscow restaurants to send their cooks to the central squares and parks where people selebrate the Holyday to bake "blin"s on transportable ovens and sell them to the public. Some more details I will tell you tomorrow while speaking for 3 minutes during our Listening/ Speaking session. Yulia.

3 comments:

Alif said...

Thanks for saying about an important day. Your description seems me that I am in Moscow and celebrating the festival. Thanks again for sharing it with us.

Felice said...

We also have such celebration in Lithuania :) It's called Užgavėnės. Actually, it's next Tuesday (Feb.20) and I'm gonna cook lots of different pancakes :D

Super Saiyan said...

You cannot believe how happy I am to have the first comment on my blog. Thank you very much for pleasing me:D. I think I read your blog too late because you have already presented it. Anyways, you mentioned many names and place without discriping them.
I forgot to tell you: I do NOT beleive in furtune tellers, I did NOT believe and will not believe in fortune tellers.
Thanks
Mohammad= Goku= Super Saiyan