Friday, February 2, 2007

Neighbours

What is the right way to get acquainted with your neighbours? In Russia you may live for many years not being aware who lives next to your door. If you have a private house with a high fence ( about 3 meters) around it, you could not even see your neighbours. In Calgary it is impossible. You meet your neighbours every day in the morning, especially if it is snowing and you have to shovel the path or your driveway. You greet them, they answer. You feel that they want to ask you something but do not do it first. I asked some of my local friends about a procedure. Nobody knows if there is something special. Is it possible to invite them for a cup of tea or they will consider it to be a little bit strange or worse. I wonder, if you could give me an advice how to behave. What customs and traditions do you have in your countries on that point.
Yulia

5 comments:

Alif said...

Thanks, Yulia! for thinking about it. I think, Scott can help you in this case. In my country, it is the same situation, I may not know my neighbour though we may live with them couple of years. But, ours is different; we used to know our neighbour. However, the condo environment is different from housing areas. Wish your neighbour will be good for you.

Scott Douglas said...

I know all of my neighbours, but in Calgary I think the rule of thumb is that we are friendly, but not your friend. I mean, we say hi and chat to each other on the street for a while, but it would be a bit strange if my neighbour asked me in for a cup of tea. It depends on the situation. Maybe if you have been chatting with them for an hour or so about a great many things, it's okay, but if it is just hi and bye, tea would be weird. However, if you want to invite someone for tea, you should do it. I'm a bit anti social anyway :-)

Happy Amy said...

In China, we are very close to our neighbors, but it really depends on the neighbor is friendly or hard to get on with....
well, I suggest that u could talk with them more often and after u get quite familiar with them, then it is the right time to invite them to a tea~~~

Super Saiyan said...

Actually in Kuwait it is the same. Most of the time you meet your neughbours. Also we invite each others.
( you are responsible for taiking about discussions through blogging and how this discussions help in solving problems and getting opinions. also yo are responsible for the useful entertainment of bogging)

Edward said...

Yulia,

As it was written before, in Calgary although the people are friendly, it does not mean that they will hang out with you, so the best way perhaps could be introducing your self to your closest neighbords and letting them know in a very polite manner that you are living there, and wait for a response.